It’s crucial for truck drivers and fleet operators to have well maintained trucks, optimized for fuel efficient operation. Great maintenance requires dependable and professional service technicians. Here are some tips on what to look for when finding a service provider that best fits your needs.
1. Make sure they are legitimate. Review their website and look for proof of certification or ask them directly for a certificate.
2. Make sure they are professional. Read their reviews (Yelp, Yext and Google) and pay attention how they answer the phone and answer your questions.
3. What types of services do they provide? Will they be able to handle all your needs?
4. What are their rates? Do they charge on an hourly or project basis?
5. What are their hours of operation?
6. What certifications do their technicians hold?
7. Do they have a backlog for service? How long is the waiting list?
8. What is the expected turnaround for maintenance and basic repair services
9. Do they have enough liability insurance to cover your vehicle if something happens on their property?
10. Do they have experience working on your type of vehicle(s)?
11. What warranties do they offer?
Keep in mind that outsourcing your maintenance and repair needs does not mean you lose control over the repair process. Don’t be afraid to negotiate with your service provider to standardize maintenance and repair services that are done on a regular basis. That way, maintenance services can be duplicated which means they are not only doing the work the way you want it done but also will help to speed up the repair duration. The more they automate and standardize the more quickly the repair will be completed and there is less room for miscommunication and mistakes.
Taking the time to communicate your needs and standardizing the process will make it easier to access service records. Service record will increase the value of your vehicle should you decide to sell it at some point. Everyone wants to see service records; ensuring you have access to good documentation can make a difference when it comes time for you to sell or trade your vehicle in. Interested in top tips for truck drivers and fleets, join AAOO and enjoy thousands in benefits for only a few dollars a month.